- Podcast: Why Andrew Wiggins is struggling, is Kentucky an elite team?Posted 21 hours ago
- UConn’s Shabazz Napier is following in Kemba Walker’s footstepsPosted 6 days ago
- DAILY DISH: UConn not getting enough respectPosted 22 days ago
- DAILY DISH: Memphis is a fraud; Kansas looks like a No. 1 teamPosted 22 days ago
- College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon Recap: FGCU, LaSalle, VCU and morePosted 29 days ago
- DAILY DISH: Andrew Wiggins was a little passive in Kansas debutPosted 43 days ago
- When are the next retro Jordans coming out?Posted 150 days ago
- Victor Oladipo shines in NBA Summer LeaguePosted 156 days ago
Derrick Rose Injury Crushing not only to Bulls fans, but basketball fans in general
- Updated: April 29, 2012
By: Kels Dayton
I got the news while sitting on my couch at 6 p.m., and the steak and cheese sandwich I had just devoured nearly came back to life in liquid form. Derrick Rose, the reigning league MVP, the best point guard in the world and the Eastern Conference’s best hope for a Miami-free Finals; done for the rest of the season with an ACL injury.
It isn’t all that surprising, considering Rose missed 29 of the Bulls’ 66 games this season with a multitude of injuries. But it truly sucks for basketball fans who were looking forward to a Bulls/Heat conference finals showdown and the possibility of someone other than Miami representing the East in the NBA Finals. Bulls beat writer Nick Friedell described the reaction in the Chicago locker room as, “the saddest postgame locker room I’ve ever seen.”
“It might be the saddest win we’ve ever had,” said Bulls forward Carlos Boozer.
“My heart kind of dropped,” said forward Richard Hamilton. “It was scary…not just for us, but the whole city of Chicago.”
“He’s more than just a basketball player to me,” said Joakim Noah. “I consider Derrick a little brother and to see him hurting is never good.”
Guard Kyle Korver took to Facebook for his reaction shortly after the game, writing this passionate letter to Bulls fans:
@MilosRinac: I am so sad to hear the news about Derrick Rose. I love his game. I wish him a speedy recovery.
@Shob Gunna: Just told my Grandma that D Rose tore his ACL. She looked sad.
@Villarenal: I cried when Derrick rose got hurt.
Stephon Marbury blamed the injury on the compacted schedule this year. @StarburyMarbury: Because of the #Greed of the #NBA another star player goes down in Derrick Rose. Too many games in such a short time. Players need to learn.
@NotWaltFrazier: “I have to get up and go to the bathroom but I’m afraid I’ll tear my ACL! Leg foldin’ and bladder holdin”!”
We’ll leave you with this one:
“God does everything for a reason. I just don’t know what His reason is at this time,”–Derrick Rose