- NCAA Tournament Profile: Vermont CatamountsPosted 2 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: North Dakota Fighting HawksPosted 2 weeks ago
- Why Monmouth deserves an at-large bid into the NCAA TournamentPosted 3 weeks ago
- James Harden’s rejuvenation is the most refreshing thing about the NBA this seasonPosted 3 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: Florida Gulf CoastPosted 3 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: Winthrop EaglesPosted 3 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: Jacksonville State GamecocksPosted 3 weeks ago
- Check out the complete 2017 college basketball conference tournament schedulePosted 4 weeks ago
- Missouri should part ways with head coach Kim Anderson at season’s endPosted 4 weeks ago
- Denver’s Nikola Jokic is redefining what an NBA center can bePosted 1 month ago
NCAA Tournament Profile: Florida Gulf Coast
- Updated: March 7, 2017
Dunks and defense.
That’s what Florida Gulf Coast (26-7, 12-2/Atlantic Sun) has specialized in this season, en route to another conference title and talk that they might be able to make some more noise in the NCAA Tournament. The Eagles will enter the Dance winners of 18 of 20, with 13 of those triumphs coming by double digits.
Even without the legendary Andy Enfield, FGCU’s legacy of unforeseen freakish athleticism has continued. Coach Joe Dooley has led the Eagles back to the tournament twice now, and this group can rock the rim almost as well as the original 15th-seeded squad.
Just check out this outlandish throwdown by Rayjon Tucker in the A-Sun title game against North Florida:
You need to see FGCU’s Rayjon Tucker destroy the rim pic.twitter.com/S1EWP8utUd
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) March 5, 2017
Beyond the dunks, this FGCU team can really guard as well. They’re athletic (of course), quick and harassing on the wing.
The Eagles are led by 6-2 junior guard Brandon Goodwin, who averages 18.2 points, 4.6 boards and 4 assists per game. 6-2 Miami product Zach Johnson also puts up 11.8 points per, and 6-9 Miami big Demetris Morant averages 10 points and 8 boards per.
Depending on their seeding and first-round matchup, this is a team that has a chance to win a game next week.