- NCAA Tournament Profile: Vermont CatamountsPosted 2 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: North Dakota Fighting HawksPosted 2 weeks ago
- Why Monmouth deserves an at-large bid into the NCAA TournamentPosted 3 weeks ago
- James Harden’s rejuvenation is the most refreshing thing about the NBA this seasonPosted 3 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: Florida Gulf CoastPosted 3 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: Winthrop EaglesPosted 3 weeks ago
- NCAA Tournament Profile: Jacksonville State GamecocksPosted 3 weeks ago
- Check out the complete 2017 college basketball conference tournament schedulePosted 4 weeks ago
- Missouri should part ways with head coach Kim Anderson at season’s endPosted 4 weeks ago
- Denver’s Nikola Jokic is redefining what an NBA center can bePosted 1 month ago
NCAA Tournament Profile: Vermont Catamounts
- Updated: March 12, 2017
For the first time since their classic upset of Syracuse in 2005, Vermonters feel as though their Catamounts have a chance to pull off an upset come March Madness.
This group was one of the best mid-major performers all season long, going 29-5, and a perfect 19-0 in conference, including a 56-53 win over Albany for the America East title.
Vermont got it done with defense, allowing just 61.6 points per game, which ranked 11th nationally. Three players average in double figures in scoring, led by Anthony Lamb, at 12.6 ppg and 5.4 rebounds per.
The Catamounts didn’t fare very well against high-major competition during the non-conference season, getting blown out by Providence and South Carolina. They also lost to Houston (72-71) and Butler (81-69).
So, should you pick Vermont to pull the upset?
Here’s one last thing to consider, via ESPN:
From 2004-16, 23 teams made the NCAA Tournament after going undefeated in conference play. Twenty-two of them won at least one NCAA Tournament game (only exception — 2008 Cornell).
Since 2009, all 12 teams that made the NCAA Tournament after going undefeated in conference play won at least one game. Vermont and Princeton will try to add to that streak this week.